In order to immortalize the name of Maharaja Sansar Chand a great warrior and famous ruler of Distt Kangra , the college was named after Maharaja Sansar Chand as MSCM Degree College in 1978. it was taken over by the H.P Govt. in November 2005 and became a Govt. institution.The College has been duly recognized by the UGC under section 2 (f) & 12(b) for grant under UGC Act 1956.
The motto of the college is " Sa Vidya Ya Vimuktaye" - means knowledge is that which liberates. The primary objective of institution has been to uplift the rural youth by imparting higher education. A college is a place for the independent growth and development of a young mind and body.The inquistive young minds that enter the portal of any institution come here with plenty of hope and leave those portals to serve the nation as matured and polished human beings with a dream of promising future.
It is situated on the Palampur - Hamirpur (Via Sujanpur ) state highway on the left bank of Neugal rivulet. The Campus of the college is spread over an area of 41 kanals. The place is surrounded with natural beauty and is an ideal place for study.It is a co-educational institution and offer courses in humanities and commerce.